Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Are we all able to talk?

After reading this assignment for my multicultural class, I noticed that one key concept is that when dealing with racism and other isms, one way to educate the kids, both your own children and the students that one may be instructing in the future, is through talking. The only thing is, what if one does not know how to address theses questions? I myself grew up in the Bahamas, so I knew that there was a cultural difference, a skin difference, than my black schoolmates, but I never had to deal with racism. I was accepted with awe and open arms. Of course, I had comments, such as "Your skin is like a china doll." Or "are all canadians blonde with blue eyes?" But these were answered by the teachers and parents around me. I myself do not remember asking anyone about those differences.

I was never educated on the aspects of race, as I felt no difference in the race between someone of Black or White coloured skin. However, my brother is 4 and will be starting school soon. How will I, as an older sister, as an educator, help him understand? I feel it is too complex to tell him about melanin and the biological differences, but I do not want to simply say. "Well, he is different." How would one obtain the capabilities to answer the child's simple and yet, so complex questions about Race?

No comments: